can call 311 or go to nyc.gov/getfood
for help accessing food (including assistance with food delivery). Check this map
of free food resources in the Bronx, including food pantries and Grab & Go Meals at NYC schools. Also try this map
Bronx residents of any age
can get 3 free meals daily at NYC Department of Education Meal Hubs
. Children and families can pick up meals between 7:30-11:30am; adults can pick up meals from 11:30-1:30 pm. No one will be turned away
. All adults and children can pick up three meals at one time. Vegetarian and halal options available at all sites. Learn more here
can locate a food pantry through Feeding Westchester
. Register here
for notifications of drive-thru food distributions across Westchester. Click here
for information on the mobile food pantry, which offers fresh produce, dairy, protein and grains. Click here
for special temporary distributions.
- YONKERS: Pick up a meal from 8:30 to 11:30 AM at Enrico Fermi, Hostos School, MLK Academy, Roosevelt, Scholastic Academy, School 5, School 13, Thomas Cornell Academy, Yonkers Montessori, and Yonkers Middle High School.
- MOUNT VERNON: Pick up a meal from 9-10:30am at Hamilton, Graham, Benjamin Turner Middle, and Traphagen Schools.
- NEW ROCHELLE: Pick up a meal from 9-1pm at New Rochelle High School House IV, Trinity Elementary, & Columbus Middle School and from 9-4 pm from 95 Lincoln, 345 Main St, and New Rochelle City Park.
The following stores have reserved hours for seniors and other populations at high-risk of contracting the coronavirus:
- Costco: Reserved 8-9am for members age 60+ or with physical disabilities.
- BJs: Reserved 8-9am for club members age 60+.
- Walgreens/Duane Reade: Reserved from 8-9am every Tuesday.
- Sam’s Club: Reserved 7-9 am every Tuesday and Thursday. You can shop inside or place orders from your car.
- Aldi: Reserved Tuesday and Thursday 8:30-9:30am for seniors, pregnant women, and other vulnerable shoppers
- Stop & Shop: Reserved 6-7:30am everyday for seniors and customers with compromised immune systems.
- Target: Reserved for the 1st hour every Wednesday and Tuesday.
- Walmart: Reserved 1 hour early for customers 60+. Call your local store.
- CVS: Reserved for 1st hour every Wednesday & Tuesday.
- Dollar General: Reserved for the 1st hour of every day. Call your local store.
- Shoprite: Reserved hours vary by location. Call your local store.
- Trader Joes: Stores will maintain an additional line outside front door for 1st hour everyday. Call your local store.
Information Hotline & Text Updates
- Call the state's COVID-19 Hotline. Available 24/7 at 1-888-364-3065
- Text NEW YORK to 813-36 for updates from the state government.
- Text COVID to 692-692 for updates from New York City's local government.
If you are sick, call your doctor or local health department before going to an emergency room.
COVID-19 tests are in short supply. Click here
to learn more about who can get tested, how to make an appointment, and drive-through testing in New York State. NEW:
New York expanded criteria to allow all first responders, health care workers and essential employees to be tested for COVID-19 even if they aren't symptomatic.
If you have recovered from COVID19, please consider Mt. Sinai’s Plasma Donation
. Your blood may contain antibodies that fight the virus and can help critically ill people. Mount Sinai is looking to screen you as a volunteer.
Mental Health Resources
- All New Yorkers can call the COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314 for mental health counseling.
- New York City residents can call NYC WELL, a 24/7 confidential mental health & substance use hotline at 1-888-NYC-Well, or text text WELL to 65173.
- All New Yorkers can access free meditation and mindfulness resources for free at headspace.com/ny.
Domestic Violence Resources
If you are in need or help or assistance, text 844-997-2121 at any time. You can also go to a new confidential website
to reach a professional. Both services will be staffed 24/7 by New York State's Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence who are experts in domestic violence.
Utilities, Housing, & Finances:
Gas, electricity, & water providers will not shut off service during the coronavirus crisis. Previously scheduled rate increases have been delayed.
Mortgage payments waived without penalty until June 20th. Call your mortgage holder to arrange pause or decrease in payment. Read more here
Rent payments have not been waived or cancelled.
Eviction & hearings in housing court are suspended. Bronx residents who get an eviction notice can report it to the Bureau of City Marshals within the Department of Investigation at (212) 825-5953.
NYCHA residents who have lost income due to coronavirus may be eligible for a rent reduction. NYCHA residents can request income recertification here.
Banks & Credit Cards
ATM, overdraft, late, & credit card fees waived until 6/20.
Federally held loans (not private loans) suspended until September 30th and will not accrue interest. Call your lender to suspend auto-payments.
Nonpayment can’t be used to affect credit score or qualification for loan forgiveness. Wages will not be garnished; tax refunds will not be reduced if you default.
Car & Other Payments
Call the company and tell them that you cannot make your payment specifically because of coronavirus. You may be able to make an arrangement.
There are no required minimum distributions to IRA or 401k accounts. You can withdraw up to $100,000 without penalty as long as its because of the virus.
You can spread out income taxes owed on the distribution over 3 years from the date you took take it out, & you can put money back into account before those 3 years are up.
You can borrow twice the usual amount from your 401K or other workplace retirement account.
Childcare: Regional Enrichment Centers
are available for the children of Bronx-based first responders, healthcare workers, transit workers, and other essential workers.
All schools are closed until at least April 29th. Standardized exams for grades 3-8 and Regents exams are canceled. Bronx residents can learn more about requesting a remote learning device here